Thursday, March 29, 2007

The REST of the Story....

Okay, so what Derek failed to mentioned in the previous post on our GREAT (which it was) weekend is how it ended...not good! We left San Jose Sunday afternoon and all was well. The first several hours of the trip went just fine...I think at one point I even commented to Derek, "Wow, the kids have done REALLY well this trip, haven't they?" And there I sat, all smug and proud over my well-behaved, beautiful, healthy children. And then it happened....just after dinner as we were just headed up over the Grapevine on I-5, Trevor puked all over himself...I mean, COVERED. Yep, it was a couple of firsts...his first time puking and our first time having a kid puke in the car. Not good, not good.

So, picture this....NOWHERE to pull over, no place to stop for over 5 miles! I felt so sorry for him, having to sit in what seemed to be a half gallon of puke (no joke!). And once we did stop, we discovered we had only FIVE wipes in the car AND the restrooms only had air dryers. GREAT!!!( I'd like to send out a special shout out to that nice elderly couple at the rest stop who gave us a bunch of wipes and a beach towell to help us out...gotta love grandparents!) So, just after Derek had to ask a truck driver for a screwdriver in order to take Trevor's car seat apart, Kaylin started complaining that she felt like she was going to throw up. Of course, we didn't really believe her at first because that would just be too strange for them to both start puking right at the same time...on the Grapevine, with only FIVES wipes in the car. I mean, that kind of craziness doesn't really happen to parents, does it? Oh...it does!

So, to make a LONG story just a little shorter (Derek LOVES my long stories :), Kaylin continued puking and conducting other "business" for the next few days and even today (four days later, for anyone keeping track) is still not better. I was struck with it yesterday (in a milder form than the kids), Dylan and Dee Dee both got even slighter touches, and Danny (our 15 month old nephew) has puked 11 times in the past 4 1/2 hours. By now, Derek and Steve are the only ones in our house who haven't gotten it. Ahh, the joys of communal living!!

Just to give you an idea of the chaos caused by "the plague" in our house, here's what I looked down to find just a little bit ago. I can't really say for how long I've been wearing two different shoes on my feet, but it is indicative of life in the Nations-Olson household right now. We're hoping for a better week next week!!

1 comment:

E and K said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Danny too! That must have started just after we got off the phone...such a bummer!